WOW! What a week! I don’t even know where to begin! Okay. For the sake of organization, I am going to separate this past week, into a few different entries, each containing differently themed content. Any objections? I think not. All right let’s see here...
Topic Number One: Operating Room
As part of our surgical rotation, we had the opportunity to spend a few days in the operating room, witnessing surgeries. Let me just say it was SO COOL!!! I loved every minute of it.
I got to witness six surgeries throughout the two days. I’m just going to say that I continued to get this excruciating pain off and on during these next few days, lasting a couple of hours each. Thankfully, it lasted longest once I was at home. Anyways, I’m sure you’re curious about what kind of guts and gore I got to see! Mixing up the order for confidential purposes, of course, I witnessed:
A total knee replacement/revision
A laparoscopic cyst removal
A tendon repair on a shoulder
A laparoscopic vaginal assisted hysterectomy
A breast lumpectomy
Cauterizing of a uterus
SO COOL! I was really surprised how violent these surgeries are. I never really knew skin could stretch like I do now! At least, viewing these surgeries gives you a whole new appreciation for those who go through the experience, and gives you an entirely different outlook when you see that little scar on someone’s knee. Because, as innocent as that little incision looks, you know how many layers of fat and muscle were pulled back. And you’ve seen them saw away at the bones and chisel and pound and jam plates in with mallets. Not gently, I might add! Very impressive.
I think the laparoscopic procedures were also a pretty neat thing. I had a great anesthesiologist for one surgery, who let me stand on a footstool at the patient’s head, so I could be right in with the surgery. It’s a weird feeling, when you’re watching this scope on the TV screen above you, and it really feels like you’re just watching TLC. But then you look down, and the surgery is there right before your eyes! Within touching distance! Incredible. For the rest of the surgeries, I was within a few feet, depending on how much equipment was needed for the surgery.
Anyone jealous?
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Operating Room!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I was about to eat my lunch....
I am!!! SOO cool!! I dont know why blood and guts are so fascinating, but they are. I watched a C section last week!! SO neat!
Post a Comment